St Ishmael Area
The lively and lovely parish of St Ishmael, located on the estuary of the River Towy, includes the villages of Ferryside and Llansaint, the hamlets of Broadlay and Broadway, and the surrounding farmlands.
Historically both villages are strongly associated with fishing and seafood. The parish logo symbolises the traditional industry of cockle-gathering which flourished in Ferryside, although most of the early gatherers came from Llansaint.
Now, the two villages offer a wide range of social, cultural and community activities.
Overview of Ferryside
The population of Ferryside is about 1400 and rising. Its beautiful setting on the sandy estuary of the Towy together with its excellent communications and proximity to the towns of Carmarthen and Llanelli make it a location of choice for young families and retired people alike.
In the village centre of Ferryside next to the railway station, there is St. Thomas’s Church, a primary school (Ferryside VCP), the Yacht Club and Inshore Lifeboat, a Post Office, shops, a fish restaurant selling local produce (The Ferry Cabin) and a pub (The White Lion).
There is plenty of parking in the village square for the beach, station and village centre.
At the South end of the village stands the Three Rivers Hotel, Brasserie and Leisure Club, with the holiday caravan park adjoining. At the North end there are large playing fields with a Sports and Social Club which offers a wide range of activities for the whole community and good parking. Next to the playing fields is the County’s Education Centre which is currently being considered for
St Ishmael’s church in its spectacular setting on the further development. The coast road between Ferryside and Kidwelly deserves a special mention. Situated on the ancient pilgrim route to St. David’s the present building was constructed in the 13th century with additional work undertaken in the Victorian period (1862). Among its many features are the stained glass windows commissioned by the Mansel family who lived at Iscoed (an impressive ruined mansion at the Northern edge of the village).
Overview of Llansaint
The picturesque village of Llansaint clusters around the ancient All Saints parish church with its white tower.
Llansaint benefits from its proximity to the towns of Llanelli and Carmarthen and is very popular with young families and retired people.
It also offers a Post Office and two pubs, The King’s and The Joiners (which is famous for its darts teams), both of which serve meals. The village has a large playing field and Community Hall which is used by young and old. The Community benefits from a Gardening Club, Women’s Institue and Youth Club along with a hard working Community Hall Committee. There is also a Chapel (Tabor Independent Chapel).